A Letter to my Beloved Barcelona

Dear FC Barcelona, 

I'm completely disappointed and embarrassed by my Barca. My Barca that won endless amounts of trophies. My Barca that would be undefeatable. My Barca that would not only thrash opponents but win by playing the beautiful game of football and exhibiting masterclass after masterclass. But today I couldn't recognize that Barca. The entire field from top to bottom lacked passion, drive, and motivation. The players that usually exert everything they have to the game were invisible. In all honesty, PSG did us a favor, as they could have capitalized many more goals, so I guess we can say we were lucky not to have conceived more. 

Regardless of the way the French side humiliated Barca in a crucial Champions League match, the most disappointing aspect was the fact that the players were all out of tune with each other as if they have never played with one another, as if they didn't even know each other. Whether if it was from the defense, which was completely shaky throughout the entire match or the midfield that was practically nonexistent or our beloved MSN, supposedly the top three world class players failing to string any passes that could potentially create danger for the home side. 

My Barca is not this Barca. My Barca has its foundation in possession with an enormously strong and fluid midfield. My Barca is the one where MSN work together to exhibit magic and silence the criticizers. My Barca is the team that has the DNA of football legend Johan Cruyff's 'tiki-taka' style, where opponents literally fear to play against Messi and Co. But no, not this Barca, not this team I just witnessed play a Champions League match. The style is gone, the tactics are gone, and overall the passion is gone. 

Barca, you have disappointed me, and I'm truly upset about the way you handled this match. You played as if there was no need to win the game as if you weren't 4-0 down as if someone was paying the team to play sloppy, slow and without passion. Usually, when we are down by a goal or two, the backline wastes no time to bring the ball up to midfield, but what I saw was the complete opposite. I saw Pique, and Umtiti pass the ball like they were three goals up, something that left me in complete shock. 

Was this the same Barca team that won the treble twice, was this the team that everyone admired? Where is that Barca that left people something to smile endlessly about? I want that Barca back. I want my Barca back.

Sincerely,

Comments

Popular Posts